Have you ever run out of processing power trying to get a reverb on each of your tracks? This is a common problem if you put a reverb plug-in directly onto each track. Reverb is probably one of the most DSP hungry plug-ins you can run. The more efficient and professional way to use Reverbs, and other additive types of effects like delays, chorus, flangers, etc,, is to insert the additive effect onto a stereo Aux Input track. Then, create sends from each track that go to said aux track, and bring up the send levels from each individual track, adding as much effect as you like to each! So here is a quick guide how to create an Aux Track, insert a Reverb or other additive effect, and then effectively create sends to the Reverb!
Sends made simple:
- Create a Stereo Aux Track
- Insert a Reverb Plug-in on the 1st Insert
- Assign Bus 1-2 as input to the Aux track.
Tip 1: If you right+click on an input or output from your I/O or sends view, you can rename the input or output something more convenient like “Reverb Bus”.
- Create a send to Bus 1-2 (renamed “Reverb Bus” in picture) on your vocal track.
Tip 2: Changing the View of Sends A-E to Send A will allow you to see a mini send on each track as shown in the headline picture!
- Bring up the level of the send until you hear enough reverb on your vocal.
Tip 3: Repeat steps 2 and 3 on other tracks to get some reverb on them as well!
Creating sends to "Time-Based" or "Additive" effects will greatly improve the performance of your Pro Tools system, adding many new automated mixing techniques to be continued at a later time….
PRO TOOLS TRAINING, AVID AND PRO TOOLS CERTIFICATION
ProMedia Training is the largest authorized Avid Training Pro School in the world, training more users in Pro Tools and Advanced Certification than any other organization. If you are serious about taking your Pro Tools skills and musical creativity to the next level, than check out our online schedule to find a class near you. All training is hands-on in a classroom. Classes are small, and 2-3 days in length, so you can maximize your learning. Each student is provided their own Pro Tools system in class. Classes starting from $799.00. Register by calling 888-277-0457 or for questions about classes, pricing and dates.
FREE ONLINE TUTORIALS:
- How To Use Melodyne in Pro Tools
- How to Create A DJ Mixtape In Pro Tools
- Using Pro Tools with Logic
- Music Publishing-What you need to know
- Sampling in Pro Tools
- Mixing Music for Video and Post Production
OTHER HELPFUL TUTORIAL ARTICLE LINKS
- BUILDING A STUDIO FOR UNDER $1000 IN A GUEST HOUSE
- HOW TO USE AUTO-TUNE IN PRO TOOLS
- HOT TO CREATE A MULTI-BAND COMPRESSOR IN PRO TOOLS
- ELASTIC AUDIO TUTORIAL AND INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO
- HOW TO USE OFFLINE BOUNCE IN PRO TOOLS
- PRO TOOLS 10 VERSUS PRO TOOLS 11
- BACKGROUND VOCAL PRODUCTION IN PRO TOOLS
- MIXING IN PRO TOOLS WITH ANALOG HARDWARE
- FREE PLUG-INS FOR PRO TOOLS
- MODERN POP SONG PRODUCTION- VOCAL LAYERING TECHNIQUES
- PRINTING SHEET MUSIC IN PRO TOOLS WITH SCORE EDITOR
- HOW TO CREATE SIDECHAIN COMPRESSION - A POPULAR DANCE MUSIC EFFECT
- HOW TO SETUP VOCAL MICROPHONES FOR RECORDING
NOTE: If you are new to our ProMedia newsletter, and want to be on our list to receive the latest in music production tutorials, Pro Tools Training, or receive information about our hands-on Pro Tools Classes and Audio Engineering Programs in New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Miami, Dallas and Los Angeles, please subscribe!
Mihai Boloni is a talented engineer and long-time Pro Tools educator who is fortunate to draw from thousands of hours logged in studios around the globe. Mihai is a Certified Expert Instructor who has an array of Pro Tools experience, which ranges from songwriting, post-production, and dropping' big fat bass across the land. As an industry professional he knows first-hand the value of Pro Tools mastery for artists, producers and engineers. Mihai is a dog lover and the proud father of 2 beautiful Irish Setters.